navigate to homemn guardianship lawyermn conservatorship attorneyminnesota probate lawyerminnesota willscivil and criminal appealscontact a minnesota lawyer

Formal Probate in Minnesota County Courts

Minnesota Probate Law

To proceed in formal probate means that the proceedings will take place in court before a judge. To proceed informally, the lawyer will bring the case before a person called a registrar, but the case must meet certain requirements to proceed informally.

If you have any questions, or require representation, please contact me, a Minnesota probate attorney.

To initiate formal proceedings, an interested person (not necessarily the personal representative) submits a petition to the county court to open a new file. When the case is filed, the a hearing will be set and notice of the hearing will be sent to any other interested parties that the estate will be considered for probate.

The court will hold a hearing conducted by lawyers for any interested persons to determine whether there is a will, whether there is a personal representative, and whether the estate can be probated. After the hearings, the court will appoint a personal representative to settle the estate.

Formal proceedings tend to be more expensive, simply because they are formal, judicial proceedings. Whenever an attorney has to go before a judge will generally be more expensive than before a lesser official because of the increased preparation time and costs.

However, even if a case must be opened formally, the proceedings may sometimes be able to be closed informally, which can reduce costs significantly. You should always consult with an attorney.

guardian conservator
Service Areas: I am willing to represent clients throughout Minnesota, including Roseau County, Stevens County, Winona County, Cook County, Mower County, Swift County, Wright County, Cottonwood County, or Murray County, just to name a few. Whether you are in Minneapolis or Saint Paul, or Gaylord, St. Cloud, Owatonna, Morris, Benson, Long Prairie, Wheaton, Wabasha, Wadena, or Waseca, I will represent you.